Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Little Dumplings



After having Chinese Dim Sum dumplings in Chicago's China town in January, I have been searching everywhere for them. Wei Wei Seafood Palace in Grand Rapids is the only place I've found that comes close and they only have seafood options. I decided to try and make them myself. I'd read that they are very difficult to make, but I figured I could handle it. Wrong! The dough is made with wheat starch and potato starch and is very sticky. When I added more dry ingredients it just dried the dough out and overall it was a very tedious process of rolling out the finicky dough and stuffing the dumplings with chopped up shrimp, pork and veggies. As I was working, I said I would never make them again. But, when I ate them, they tasted just like I remembered. I think I'll play around with different dough recipes.

After forming the dumplings, I put them in a vegetable steamer lined with cabbage, since I didn't have a bamboo steamer.


I've found a great book called A World of Dumplings and I hope to try out some of their recipes.

No comments: