Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yummy Pork Vindaloo

I wanted to make this last week but forgot to buy coconut milk when I got groceries. I finally made it tonight. Yum!! It's just spicy enough for me. You can add another 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper if you really like heat but I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it then.


Pork Vindaloo
1 1/2 TBSP grainy mustard (I couldn't find this, so I used Dijon mustard)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp gound tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1tsp red wine vinegar
2 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion in 1/2 rings
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pound pork cut in bite-size pieces
1 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup water


Combine mustard, cumin, tumeric, cayenne, salt and vinegar. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir fry until translucent. Add garlic and fry 30 seconds. Add spice paste and fry 1 minute. Add meat. Fry 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and water. Bring to boiling then lower to simmer for 60 minutes. Serve over rice. (I was afraid it wasn't thickening enough so I mixed about a tsp of cornstarch with a little water and added it. I probably should have waiting until it was done cooking because it probably would have been fine.

The picture might not look appetizing, but it was oh so good!

No comments: