Thursday, April 3, 2008

Feel Like Yawning?

Okay, so it is FINALLY warm enough to go for a walk outside without freezing my butt off or slipping on the ice. The lake just completely thawed out on Tuesday. When I walk alone, I like to listen to music or to podcasts. Today I listed to an NPR Story of the Day Podcast called The Quest to Design the Perfect Yawn. I learned that 55% of people will yawn in response to simply hearing someone talk about yawning. I am undoubtedly one of those people. As soon as the topic was announced on the podcast, I started with the yawning and it continued repeatedly for the entire 7 minutes of the podcast. When I even thought about writing this post, the yawning started up again.

What does this say about me? I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. I shouldn't be tired, but it sure doesn't take much to make me sleepy. Test it out on your friends and family. See if just talking about yawns makes them yawn. Read more or listen to podcast for yourself by clicking here. There is a school science project in here somewhere...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay,

my eyes are watery from one hum dinger of a yawn i just did.

wow.

Beverly said...

Yup. Works for me, too. I'm going to yawn once more before succeeding in making this post.

Anonymous said...

Nope - no yawns here. But put me in a car and I'm a yawner for sure. OK - one just crept up on me. :-)

Vicki L