Sunday, May 4, 2008

Birthday Fairies

Ember turned 4 on Friday. It's so hard to believe. For some reason, 4 seems so much older than 3. When she was 3 I could still think of her as a toddler, but now she's a big girl. We had a day of celebration yesterday, which included a Fairy Festival at Pilcher Park Nature Center in Joliet, IL. My nieces both enjoyed dancing around in their fairy costumes even though it was STILL VERY COLD!



I baked a Devil's Food Cake for her. I thought I'd post the recipe, then realized I've posted it before. You can find it by clicking here. This time I used 1/2 cup sour cream instead of the buttermilk and it was just as yummy. Cake flour makes all the difference. The cake is perfectly moist the next day, too! I used this frosting, which is very sweet:

Fudge Frosting

1 pound powdered sugar
3 squares baking chocolate, melted and cooled
5 TBSP butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
6 - 8 TBS cream (I had to add more)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Put sugar in mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients, except nuts. Beat until smooth and glossy. If too stiff, add cream or milk, one TBSP at a time. If too thin, add powdered sugar. Sprinkle nuts on top of cake, if desired.

No comments: