Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Phony Job Posting

I'm still job hunting.

I spent the past week visiting my parents with my nieces in tow. It was especially nice to float in the lake at their cottage in Michigan in the 90 degree heat.

While at their condo in Illinois I got the local newspapers and found a job posting that read: "Post Office Now Hiring. Av. Pay $20/hr or $57K annually including Federal Benefits and OT. Paid Training. Vacations. PT/FT. 1-800-584-1775 Ext. 3801." I called and they kindly explained all the benefits I could receive as a postal employee. They reviewed the possible jobs at the postal service and the great money I'd be making. I willingly paid $126 for the 250 page study guide they would need to send me for the Postal Battery Exam and they explained how important it is for me to study and do well on the exam. Then this morning I used my registration info to download the study guide from their website and found out that they are not affiliated with the U.S. Postal Service in any way and I can get study guides from the post office for FREE!! I was able to get most of my money refunded when I called back and told them I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau. I'm usually so good at spotting scams, but they got me on this one.

1 comment:

kristin said...

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH-HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN...WHAT A WAY TO KICK A GAL. BUT YOU GO AND GET THAT MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!