Thursday, August 2, 2007

Berries, Berries, Everywhere...And A Few Tears

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted. I have worked about 5 days at my new job and I love it!!! I will get to visit some families who are migrant farm workers and will be able to practice my Spanish skills. People around here seem to think it is pretty funny that my name is Bonita but I don't speak Spanish.




Last week I visited my family in Illinois and we made 5 batches of jam: blueberry/raspberry, blueberry, triple berry, blueberry apricot and strawberry.



If you're looking for a great cookbook for making jams, jellies and preserves, check out Gourmet Preserves by Chez Madelaine. We made the Blueberry Raspberry Preserve recipe which was more labor intensive than the other batches but it's very yummy!

We spent the weekend at the 50th anniversary celebration of Community Mennonite Church in Markham, IL. The church has weathered 50 years of demographic changes in the community and racial tension within the church -- especially in the late 50's and early 60's. Although there are pieces of church history that some might rather forget, Community Mennonite has sustained itself through difficult times and remains a place where people who may look different on the outside can worship together and serve the community with joy. They are my family and it always feels like home when I return. It was an emotional weekend of laughter and tears with old and new friends and such a blessing for the 150+ people who attended. Check out my childhood friend's blog for a picture of me with 2 of her adorable children on the weekend. I may post other photos later but I used an ancient camera that takes film...remember film?

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Hi Bonita, your jam sounds amazing! By the way, about your last post... I visited a UU church in Elkhart with my housemate who went there sort of regularly. I know I read a pamphlet about their history and stuff but most of it escapes me right now... it was an interesting experience for sure, we'll have to compare some day. I know what you mean by leaving and feeling like you still wanted to go to church. It was interesting to look through the song book (hymnal?).

Bonita said...

Yes, they actually sang a song that we have sung in church before. Very interesting...

kristin said...

hey...i had some of this jam...it was AMAZING...we thought of you everytime we ate...

it was so good to see you...and we miss you again.